Friday, October 4, 2013

Managing Conflict in Relationships

"Healthy debate serves a real purpose in that it helps individuals and groups make smarter decisions. By skillfully working through conflicting ideas about how to solve a problem or reach a goal, we identify the best course of action" (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).


I could definitely relate to the portion of our text that discussed attitudes towards conflict. I am one that dislikes arguing and debate. I tend to gear away from politics, leave a room when I am upset and scream into a pillow when I am angry. One of my close colleagues says this is exactly why I have so many stomach issues, because I bottle everything up and the "negative energy" stays in my system. 

Recently I experienced some productive conflict with my colleagues during one of our planning meetings. My kindergarten team consists of 5 teachers (including myself) and we consider ourselves pretty good friends. I was nervous at the beginning of the school year because we were having some disagreements on what to teach the first week of school. I had all these great ideas in my mind, but they were squashed by my colleagues because it didn't follow the certain skills we had to cover. So I felt frustrated and upset that no one took my ideas into consideration. The next few planning days were equally as frustrating. I felt like I couldn't teach how I wanted and I was being told what to do.


So one day, I finally had enough and expressed my feelings to the team while our administrators were in the room. I didn't go off on a rant or tangent, but I expressed my concerns that clearly our classes were on different levels of learning. (Some of us felt some activities were too easy and some thought they were too hard for their students.) My administrators told us that as long as we are teaching the same skill, we can do whatever activities we want with our students. So I can put my own flair on my lessons and the same with my colleagues. This made our planning the rest of the month go much smoother because if we were a huge fan of a certain lesson, we knew we could "tweak it" to fit our teaching style and our students' learning needs. The great thing about this resolution is that we can share with each other how our lessons went and if they went really well, usually the other teachers will try it out with their kids too! We are very supportive of one another and that gives us a supportive climate to discuss our frustrations or concerns.

Strategies that I have learned about that might help me manage or resolve the conflict more productively would be cooperative strategies. We all benefited from agreeing to teach the same skill, but in our own ways. We also keep our focus on the issues. We don't take it personally and attack each other's teaching abilities. We all respect each other and work as a team so that we can do what is best for our students. 

Resources 
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St.Martin's.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great example of a WIN-WIN situation. Each side was able to get what they wanted and it was done through listening and cooperating. It sounds like a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you were able to express your concerns and resolve the issues. It sounds like you did a great job of sharing your thoughts in a respectful manner. I am glad that you now feel much more supported and also are able to teach more by your style. Thanks for sharing! Monette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica. You have a fantastic idea - - cooperation is a way that everyone can respect, listen and communicate effectively without ruining one’s self-esteem or self-concept. I’m sure you felt out-of-place; if others took the time to give you a chance to show your projects and curriculums, you certainly would be an asset to the school. Good things do happen when everyone comes up with incredible and creative projects because this is what ALL children need to learn - to be creative, original and cooperation… Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also had similar disagreements with my co-workers this school year. Moving to a new grade level and bring a new perspective has not gone well with them. They think that we should all teach the same lesson, on the same day, the same way. My partner and I were not having it. I have a 50% inclusion classroom and my room takes more time than everyone else. I'm not going to fail them because they are at different ability levels. I think that conflict with co-workers can sometimes be the hardest conflict because we are all professionals. I think that you handled the situation with class and respect and your students will benefit from it. We do it for the children and not for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    I am so glad that you were able to have a positive experience with voicing your own opinions in a context in which it they were positioned as conflicting to others. Sometimes, it is important to engage in conflict even though it makes us uncomfortable and can be very unpleasant. By asserting yourself in this situation you were able to create a win-win outcome for the conflict at your center. Job well done!
    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete