Friday, March 8, 2013

Establishing Professional Contacts and Expanding Resources

I emailed 8 different professionals off of the Global Alliance website and 5 emails were immediately sent back saying that the email addresses did not exist or they were not accepting emails for some reason. The 5th email was from Africa and I got a response today! She let me know that someone had already approached them about our assignment, and that it may be better (and more interesting for my peers and professor for our assignments) to contact a different organization. So she asked if I would like some other contacts. I emailed her back immediately to let her know I would LOVE some recommendations of Early Childhood professionals to contact. I am looking forward to her response! As for the other contacts, I have yet to hear back from them.

If I do not hear back from any of the contacts and continue to have no luck in contacting early childhood professionals (I'm not giving up yet!) I believe I may need to choose the alternate assignment for Part 1.

 I chose to follow the Pre-K Now website and I signed up for their newsletters as well. As a kindergarten teacher in a high-poverty area (and as a pre-K teacher at heart), I truly believe the Pre-K should be required before a child enters kindergarten. So when I read Pre-K Now's overview, knew I would be interested! The Pre-K Now website states:
"Through its successes, Pre-K Now changed the national conversation about pre-k education, and in its final report, challenged the nation’s policy makers to transform public education by moving away from the current K-12 system to pre-K-12."

 I look forward to browsing the website throughout this course and reading up on how the organization is working on their goal of requiring Pre-K for all students.

4 comments:

  1. Hi jessica,
    As always, your blog looks great! I wish, I knew how to work this blog like you! I started back in Sept-Oct. 2012 contacting the outside national websites to understand their child needs, and to be apart of their membership. However, they have so many to chose from, but I wanted one that I can relate to or need my support.
    Anyway, chose wisely! Tamarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica:

    This is the first time I blog with you and hope to be the beginning of many.
    I did experience the same challenges you did. I emailed and 3 of the emails came back.
    I am currently waiting 2 responses from Armenia and Canada.
    I like your choices of the newsletters you've signed up. I am sure it will be helpful to you as a kindergarten teacher.
    I did sign up to few newsletters as well, and the most interesting I found to be is the ongoing research in the ECE field. I am fascinated how the human brain is impacted by the expereinces of the early years.

    Great looking blog, it does reflect the creative side of you as a kindergarten teacher.

    Marijan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad about the contact. That has been one of my worries also. I do wish you success in the others. It is exciting to get a response from someone from another country. I know when I received mine ( Canada)that just put a smile on my face.
    I love your blog also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,
      It's good to be in the same group once more. You are one of my colleagues whom I am learning a lot on new things from. I also emailed a number of websites, but to date I have not received any word for them. I am still waiting. Continue educating the people.
      Joanne

      Delete