Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Sexualization of Early Childhood

"Sexualization is how we treat other people (and sometimes oneself) as “objects of sexual desire . . . as things rather than as people with legitimate sexual feelings of their own.” When people are sexualized, their value comes primarily from their sex appeal, which is equated with physical attractiveness. This is especially damaging and “problematic to children and adolescents who are developing their sense of themselves as sexual beings (Levin & Kilbourne, 2009)."

My reaction to the reading this week was a mixture of anger and being surprised at some of the scenarios that have happened. I have witnessed sexualization of early childhood in my own school. The way students dress and girls wear makeup before they are in middle school. The language they use, the way boys and girl treat each other and even the way they dance. Some of my own kindergarteners dance like adults and have said/done inappropriate things I have had to contact parents about. Boys in my class stand and walk like I have seen grown men do.

Children are exposed to images of childhood idols such as Miley Cyrus being overly sexual and dolls that are way too grown up for a childlike image.  I have heard a 5 year old call her own mother ugly. My heart sunk when I heard this. Growing up, I always believed my mother to be the most beautiful woman in the world. I heard another 5 year old call another students' mother fat to make the other child upset.

Children are becoming so focused on how it is important to look good. A child's identity can be harmed if they feel they are not meeting a certain standard. A girl make not feel that she is pretty enough or skinny enough. I know I felt that way as a child myself. Boys and girls will feel they need to act and look a certain a way to be accepted.

As an early childhood educator,  I believe it is my duty to make a child feel and help them reach their highest potential. I focus on their strengths, not weaknesses. I try not to focus on what they are wearing. If I see inappropriate behavior, I pull that child aside and talk to them and the parent about my concerns. I do my best to make each child in my care feel successful, loved and happy. My awareness of this problem has instilled in my some curiosity so that I can stay current and find ways to help children to develop healthy identities.

References
Levin, D. E., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    It is sad the media makes children feel as though they have to pretty or skinny to be sexy or accepted. Children calling each other's mothers names because society has told them what someone should look like, this is very upsetting. These children may grow up with low self-esteem if they think they are not pretty or skinny enough. They are way too young to be focusing on appearances. As educators and parents, we have to instill positivity in their minds. Thanks for sharing.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, in my school if a student is not dressed appropriately, administration will call the parent to bring other clothes or send them home. Even the staff has a dress code to follow, because, they are suppose to set an example for the students to follow. There are songs like "The Electric Slide," that gives you simple harmless dance steps. Then you have songs that tell you how to move different parts of your body inappropriately, and children listen to the words and learn how to them. I have seen it in my school too. Good post Jessica

    ReplyDelete