Saturday, July 27, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microagressions

Dr. Sue defines microaggressions as "everyday slights and indignities, put downs and insults that people of color, women, LGBT population or those who are marginalized experience in their day to day interactions with people (Wiley, 2010)." I had a difficult time noticing any microaggressions this week as I have only been working in my classroom and no where else. But I do recall an incident with an older family member who I won't name. When I was younger, he was driving me around the town where he grew up and as we drove by a bi-racial couple, he gasped and said "Ugh, that is just disgusting!" I looked at him and said "Why?" and he replied that because it was a black man and a white woman holding hands. I shook my head and said, "There is nothing wrong with that!" And he just stopped the conversation. This want to say that this is either an example of a micro assault (b/c it is clear racism) OR a micro insult (b/c it's demeaning). This person has made several racist comments before, but he NEVER says it to the person and is harmless. He thankfully is very civil in public and I think because my family and I are not afraid to speak our mind when he makes comments like that, he has learned to keep his negative thoughts to himself.

When he makes racist comments, it really disappoints me. I believe we are all the same inside- I even do a lesson with my kindergarteners every year when I teach them about the history of Martin Luther King, Jr. I show them a white egg and a brown egg. We notice how they look different, just like people do! Then I break the eggs and show the children the yolks. I ask the kids, do you notice anything different about what the eggs have on the inside? And they of course do NOT. So I connect the eggs to people and how we may all look different on the outside, but on the inside we all have feelings- that can be hurt when mean things are said and done.

Learning and thinking about microaggressions has opened my eyes to how there are still so many prejudices and stereotypes that people hold, no matter kind-hearted the person can be. I admit, I too have realized I hold some after learning about the three different types of microaggressions. I will definitely try to be more conscious about my thoughts and actions when it comes to dealing with students, parents and families and making sure I am respectful and welcoming to all.


References
Wiley, J. (2010, October 4). Microaggressions in Everyday Life. Retrieved on July 26, 2013 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJL2P0JsAS4

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica:

    Thank you for sharing your relative's story. I had similar experiences as well where older people in my family would make negative comments about Muslim people from my country. Just to educate myself about the Muslim religion, I started reading the Koran ( Bible for Muslim people) and found out that their religion preaches love and compassion for others. My relative's comments were based on the civil war violence we were experiencing.
    you made a very important comment, "speaking out our mind" I truly believe communicating openly with our rudeness of-course can be a tool to educate others. On numerous occasions my mother has expressed her dislike about gays and lesbians, I approached her and asked her to keep her thoughts and comments to herself. because I raised my both sons to respect all human beings regardless of their social identities.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post; it was thoughtfully done! I used an example of something that a family member said in my posting as well. It was, as you mentioned, disappointing to evaluate a family member's words through this lens. However, it is important that we continue to do things which may be uncomfortable to us as we practice awareness of microaggressions in our everyday lives. Thank you for sharing your personal experience. -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    The way you teach about diversity and respect to children using two different colors of eggs is impressive. We learn theories and we also bring our own culture and diversity inside, but when it comes to teaching, especially those little children who learn from their models, they need exampples! I like John Lenon's song Imagine, but I don't believe this world will be as one with no religions or countries. What we can do is only to respect the difference, and it should be taught from home and school to all children.

    ReplyDelete