Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Personal Research Journey

The subject I am going to research is play in the early childhood field. I chose this because as a kindergarten teacher, I feel play is being taken away from young children and more rigorous standards are being expected than ever before. My fear is this will affect future generations because our children will grow up with a lack of passion in many areas because we are taking away what they know (play) at such a young age. Since beginning the program through Walden, I have begun to understand the importance of play for children in many developmental areas. I look forward to researching more into the subject so I can be well educated on the topic and advocate the importance of play when I maintain my master’s degree. The program has already affected the way I teach. I have taken more time to sit back and watch my students and let them be kids.  As early childhood teachers, we are pressured into teaching standards we know are not developmentally appropriate for our students. I am currently trying to find ways to teach the rigorous standards in kindergarten while keeping it fun and hands-on for my students. This has been a challenge, but when I find something that works, it is such a great feeling to know my students are doing something fun and worthwhile. (Math is really easy to make fun!) For example, trying to teach 5 year olds how to subtract, after we just finished teaching them how to add is a very difficult concept for them to understand. So I try to make our activities like they are playing. I give them these little logs and 5-10 frog manipulatives and while signing 5 Green and Speckled Frogs, the kids are acting out the song with their “toys.” Now this may not be play like we grew up with (as in free play)... but the kids really enjoy it and they are learning through the process. I also make sure my students get 20-30 minutes a day of recess... (Outside when it’s nice, or indoor when it’s too cold or rainy).

As we begin the research simulation, I will try to find articles using the Walden library website as well as Google scholar when necessary. Have any of you found any other great resources to find research articles and journals? I have been one who always skips over the research articles because they were so foreign and LONG to me that I never felt like taking the time to try and read them. Now I am looking forward to improving my skills in reading research and understanding what they mean so I can be a better child advocate.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica,
    I'm excited for you researching play. I too agree with your concern that play will continue to be a source of learning in the early childhood classroom. I have an article I recently pulled on the subject of play that you might be interested in.
    Miller, E., & Almon, J. (2009). Crisis in the kindergarten: Why chidlren need to play in school. Education Digest, 75 (1), 42-45. Retrieved from http://www.ehis.ebscohost.com.ezp.waldenulibrary
    .org/ehost/pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the same boat!!! Our principal told us to stay out for 15 minutes, I about passed out! She doesn't really stress this either and we really don't follow the rules, because that's just totally insane! We have 4 year olds! Come on, 4 year olds can't sit in their chair all day or even stay inside all day. If you do stay inside they are spending most of their time asking to go outside. I also want to be an advocate for play in early childhood. I can't believe the way it is headed. It is very sad for children in the future. I honestly would love to open my own school. I really have no idea how I would ever do that, but I want to! A school with my own rules and my own ideas and administrations! Alright anyways awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jessica, thanks for increasing my knowledge more. All my colleagues' posting mean a lot to me. Undoubtedly, as educators, we have to cooperate in developing a cohesive program that span across the early vital years of formal schooling. Our role is to encourage our colleagues to try and initiate changes in their practice/approach, and not only to envision what they have wanted to occur during the early childhood experience of children. However, today's children are playing less at home and in school, but in play they can have fun, develop their social skills as they interact and communicate, learn, cooperate, and work on concepts pertaining to Math, Science, Language, and other disciplines.
    Joanne Lynch

    ReplyDelete