Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Early Childhood Quotes on Play

Play, while it cannot change the external realities of children’s lives, can be a vehicle for children to explore and enjoy their differences and similarities and to create, even for a brief time, a more just world where everyone is an equal and valued participant.

Patricia G. Ramsey
Contemporary American educational psychologist

As astronauts and space travelers children puzzle over the future; as dinosaurs and princesses they unearth the past. As weather reporters and restaurant workers they make sense of reality; as monsters and gremlins they make sense of the unreal.

Gretchen Owocki
Contemporary American early childhood educator

Pausing to listen to an airplane in the sky, stooping to watch a ladybug on a plant, sitting on a rock to watch the waves crash over the quayside—children have their own agendas and timescales. As they find out more about their world and their place in it; they work hard not to let adults hurry them. We need to hear their voices.

Cathy Nutbrown
Contemporary British educational theorist

6 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your blog and have truly read some stories to remember as I start my educational pathway in becoming an early childhood administrator. Your blog have always provided me with an opportunity to see a clear picture on what you are planning to do for the children to get a chance to achieve their goals and is planting seeds in many young children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica I enjoyed your very first quote about "Play"! I really love it because it is so true, we've learned that play is so important in a child's life and what the untrained eye see as meaningless interactions between children is viewed very differently in the eye of the child that is actually engaging in the play! Great post! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a eight week of outstanding learning and interaction to this class. Thank you for sharing with me and the other classmate your experience in the classroom. It is helpful to have and share real experience in learning and I like to thank you for your time in this class Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Play is the most important thing in the life of a child. That is how they learn about their world and how things work. I have run into so many parents over the course of my years in early childhood education that want more educational activities and less play, which I think is funny, because to children play is educational. I wish you to best in all your future endeavors and accomplishments. I look forward to learning with you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, play is the essence of creativity in children throughout the world. It is a reflection of children's growth, the essence of their lives, and a window into their world. This self-satisfying activity help them to gain control, and come to understand life.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,
    I love all the quotes you have! Thanks for sharing so much knowledge and resources to all your colleagues in this course. I know that I have truly benefited from you and by what I read, you truly love what you do! keep up the good work and Happy holidays! Ahe'hee.

    ReplyDelete